Routes

Planner

Features

Updates

App

Login or Signup

Get the App

Login or Signup

Routes
Hiking trails & Routes
Poland
Lower Silesian Voivodeship
powiat legnicki
Legnica

Old Town Hall in Legnica – Słowiański Park Pond loop from Legnica

Routes
Hiking trails & Routes
Poland
Lower Silesian Voivodeship
powiat legnicki
Legnica

Old Town Hall in Legnica – Słowiański Park Pond loop from Legnica

Easy

8

hikers

Old Town Hall in Legnica – Słowiański Park Pond loop from Legnica

01:00

3.93km

10m

Hiking

Easy hike. Great for any fitness level. Easily-accessible paths. Suitable for all skill levels. The starting point of the route is accessible with public transport.

Last updated: August 21, 2026

Waypoints

A

Start point

Bus stop

Get Directions

1

750 m

Old Town Hall in Legnica

Highlight • Historical Site

The old town of Legnica

Translated by Google •

Tip by

2

827 m

On March 25, 1992, the Church of St. Peter and Paul was raised to the cathedral under Pope John Paul II and has since served as the main church of the diocese of Legnica. Since then, a statue of the Polish Pope John Paul is standing next to the Kathedrahle in the park.

Translated by Google •

Tip by

3

910 m

View of St. Peter and Paul Cathedral

Highlight • Religious Site

The Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul in Legnica (Katedra Świętych Apostołów Piotra i Pawła) is a significant sacred building with a rich history and impressive architecture. Here are the key details:
🏰 Historical Overview
First church built: Already mentioned in 1208, originally dedicated to the Apostle Peter.
Gothic Rebuilding: Built between 1328 and 1378 under master builder Wiland, modeled on St. Elizabeth's Church in Breslau.
Consecration: On September 20, 1342, by Bishop Wacław; St. Paul was added as a second patron.
Reformation: From 1522/23, the church served as a Protestant church under Duke Frederick II.
Fire & Reconstruction: After a fire in 1835, it was rebuilt in the Neo-Gothic style according to designs by Karl Friedrich Schinkel.
🛐 Catholic Cathedral
Return to Catholics: After 1945, following the transfer to Poland.
Elevation to cathedral status: On March 25, 1992, by Pope John Paul II, the main church of the newly established Diocese of Legnica.
Visit of the Pope: John Paul II visited the cathedral on June 2, 1997.
🎨 Architecture & Furnishings
Three-aisled hall church with cross vaults in the side aisles and a ribbed presbytery.
Northwestern main portal: Around 1370, with a Gothic statue of the Madonna and Child (ca. 1340) – a masterpiece of stonemasonry.
West portal: Scenes from the Adoration of the Magi.
Interior:
Renaissance pulpit (1586/88)
Baroque high altar
Bronze baptismal font in the shape of a Gothic chalice
Gravestone of Duke Ludwig II of Brieg and Elisabeth of Brandenburg.
📍 Location & Surroundings
Directly on Liegnitz Square, centrally located in the old town.
In the immediate vicinity: Church of Our Lady, Liegnitz Castle, Copper Museum, and Modrzejewska Theater.

Translated by Google •

Tip by

4

1.17 km

Die Ursprünge der Kirche gehen auf die zweite Hälfte des 12. Jahrhunderts zurück.

Der heutige Bau :

Beim großen Stadtbrand im Jahr 1338 wurde die Kirche vollständig zerstört. Zwischen 1362 und 1386 erfolgte ein Neubau, wobei die Grundmauern des Vorgängerbaus miteinbezogen wurde. Es entstand ein dreischiffiger Kirchenneubau. In den folgenden Jahrhunderten kamen zahlreiche Anbauten hinzu. Zwischen 1450 und 1468 wird der Chor erweitert. Im Jahr 1484 wurde der Südturm fertiggestellt.

1522 wurde in der Kirche die erste evangelische Predigt im Liegnitzer Stadtgebiet abgehalten.

Mitte des 17. Jahrhunderts wurde die Kirche renoviert und ausgebaut. Als Folge eines Blitzschlags brannte die Kirche am 11. März 1822 vollkommen aus. Zwischen 1824 und 1829 erfolgte der Wiederaufbau. Dabei wurde die Kirche zu einer Hallenkirche umgebaut und der Innenraum wurde im Stil der Neugotik wiederhergestellt. An der Westfassade wurde die beiden Türme hinzugefügt.

1903 entstand ein Bericht über Bauschäden an der Kirche. Diese lieferten den Anlass für eine großangelegte Renovierungs- und Umgestaltungsaktion. Ab 1905 wurde der Innenraum mit geometrischen mauretanischen Mustern nach einem Entwurf des Professor Detkana aus Berlin umgestaltet. Die Türme wurden saniert, die Kirche erhielt ein neues Dach und an der Südfassade wurde eine Kapelle angebaut. Am 31. Mai 1906 erfolgte die Einweihung der neugestalteten Kirche.

Nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg verblieb eine deutsche evangelische Minderheit in der Stadt, die weiterhin die Liebfrauenkirche nutzen durfte. Sie ging von der Kirchenprovinz Schlesien der evangelischen Kirche der Altpreußischen Union zur Evangelisch-Augsburgischen Kirche in Polen über. Unter Pastor Wolfgang Meißler wurden hier auch deutsche Gottesdienste abgehalten. Ein Ende nahm dies im Jahr 1962, nachdem Pastor Meißler nach Westdeutschland ausgewiesen wurde. Durch die von ihm gegründete Stiftung „Schlesienhilfe PWM“ konnten Gelder zur renovieren und zum Unterhalt der Kirche gesammelt werden. Im Jahr 2009 wurde der Platz vor der Liebfrauenkirche nach Pastor Meißler benannt, Plac Pastora-Wolfganga-Maxa-Meißlera.
Die Kirche wurde vor einigen Jahren mit neuen Pfahlbohrungen gesichert, da die Türme auseinander zu brechen drohten.

Tip by

5

2.42 km

Słowiański Park Pond

Highlight • Lake

In the park, a multimedia fountain invites you to a show in the season at 21.00. The show lasts up to half an hour 👍💥

Translated by Google •

Tip by

6

3.34 km

Filip Statue

Highlight • Monument

7

3.52 km

The first church building on the same site, dedicated to the Apostle Peter, was mentioned in 1208. Between 1328 and 1378, the church was rebuilt under master builder Wiland based on the model of St. Elizabeth's Church in Wroclaw. The church was consecrated on September 20, 1342 under Bishop Waclaw and received Saint Paul as a second patron.

Between 1370 and 1378, the church was further expanded. The master builder Konrad from Krakow was in charge. The Gothic main portal on the northwest side of the church dates from this period. Between 1378 and 1390, the interior of the church was designed by Klaus Parlirer, with the window frames in the Gothic style. By the 15th century, 15 chapels had been built along the side aisle.

After Duke Friedrich II introduced the Reformation in his duchy of Liegnitz in 1522/23, the church served as a Protestant church.

After a fire in 1835, the church was rebuilt according to designs by Karl Friedrich Schinkel.[1] The restoration and reconstruction of the church from 1892 to 1894 according to a design by Johannes Otzen led to fundamental changes, especially to the exterior. The unfinished main façade was supplemented by a south tower with a neo-Gothic spire and the entire building was significantly changed in its historical substance by cladding with new bricks and new architectural sculptures. In contrast, the valuable interior of the three-aisled hall church was preserved.

Translated by Google •

Tip by

8

3.54 km

Julek Statue

Highlight • Monument

Julek – a sculpture of a boy by Legnica artist Edward Mirowski.

Translated by Google •

Tip by

B

3.93 km

End point

Bus stop

Loading

Way Types & Surfaces

Way Types

2.01 km

1.85 km

< 100 m

Surfaces

1.76 km

1.16 km

808 m

138 m

Sign up to see more specific route details

Sign up for free

Elevation

Elevation

Nothing selected – click and drag below to see the stats for a specific part of the route.

Sign up to see more specific route details

Sign up for free

Weather

Powered by Foreca

Friday 21 August

18°C

13°C

68 %

Additional weather tips

Max wind speed: 22.0 km/h

to get more detailed weather forecasts along your route

Comments

guide_signup

Want to know more?

Sign up for a free komoot account to join the conversation.

Sign up for free

Our route recommendations are based on thousands of hikes, rides, and runs completed by other people on komoot.

Save

Edit route

Download GPX

Move start point

Print

Share

Embed on a website

Report an Issue

Report restricted access

Nearby routes

Easy

4.6

214

Myśliborski Gorge nature trail: Chelmy Landscape Park

01:06h

3.92km

80m

Explore
RoutesRoute plannerFeaturesRedeem a voucherHikesMTB TrailsRoad cycling routesBikepackingSitemap
Download the app
Follow Us on Socials

© komoot GmbH

Privacy Policy